This video article will show you step by step on how to sew a dog coat for a small dog. You can also find the instructions for this project on you tube in the following link
Keep your pup warm
The dog coat we going to make today is an extra-thick, waterproof dog coat that can be worn by small dogs. This dog coat comes with a hood to keep your pup's head and neck warm. It also has a Velcro closure making it easy for you to put on and take off!
Tips on How to Successfully Sew the Hooded Dog Coat
Hooded dog coats are a great way to keep your canine companion warm and dry during the winter. If you've decided that you want to make your own, this article will provide tips on how to successfully sew one.
- Making Patterns- The first step is making patterns for the coat in three sizes (large, medium, and small). This can be done by taking measurements of your dog and finding out what size they wear in other clothing items. The patterns will need to be able to fit on the fabric so that you can cut out all of the pieces from it.
- Getting Fabric- Next, you will need fabric for both the lining and outer layer of the coat as well as any embellishments that you want to add like a hood or decorative stitching along the edges
Fabric Suggestions for Creating a Beautiful & Functional Dog Coat
It is important to understand when it is necessary to have a dog coat, and when it is not. For example, if you live in a cold climate and your dog will be exposed to harsh winds, snowy conditions, or the elements for extended periods of time then you should consider purchasing a coat that will protect your pup from the elements. However, if your dog lives indoors or spends most of their time outdoors in areas where there are no harsh winds or other conditions that pose an issue for them then they do not need a coat.
The following are fabric suggestions for creating an attractive and functional dog coat:
-A wool fabric which has natural insulation properties would be perfect for those living in cold climates because it will keep your pup warm.
Sizing Your Dog for the Perfect Fit
When it comes to dressing your dog, nothing is more frustrating than getting them dressed in clothes that don't fit properly. It not only aggravates the dog, but also frustrates you when you have to get up and stop what you're doing to put on a new outfit.
The best way to ensure that your dog fits into their clothes properly is by measuring them correctly. You'll need a tape measure for this, and some buddies who can help measure the size of your pet!
There are two measurements that determine the size of the garment: chest girth and length. Chest girth measures around the widest part of your animal's chest, while length measures from their neck down to their backside. You'll need an assistant for both measurements!
What You Need to Sew a Dog Coat for Your Small Dog
In this section, reader will get instructions on how to sew a dog coat. This coat is suitable for any small dog.
Tools: Sewing machine, pins, sewing needles, scissors, small cloth measuring tape.
Materials: Fabric (medium-weight cotton or wool fabric), thread (matching the fabric), Velcro or a button.
1) Place the pattern on the material and cut out two pieces of the same size from your fabric.
2) Pin one piece of the front and one piece of the back together with right sides facing each other
3) Sew along both long sides and one short side with about a 1/2 inch seam allowance making sure not to sew all the way up to either edge of where you pinned them together
Protect your pup against the elements
Hope you enjoyed my video and made a dog coat for your small dog. My model dog Monet was an excellent model. I had lot of fun I hope you did too. Your pup deserves to be protected! Get your small dog a hooded dog coat that will keep him/her warm and snug this winter. It's a great gift for you pup!
Thank you! Krisztina